Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Sweet Tooth!


How many variants of milk burfi do you suppose exist? On last count, close to a million it would seem. I love the versatility of this ingredient – from soaps to cream to Ganeshas, everyone wants a piece of the action. I love my milk based sweets – from Payesh, to Rasogulllas, to Kalakand – it all works for me.

Of all the dry fruits, the one that has fascinated me the most has been figs. As children, the fact that it came tied in a rope like thing gave this a rather raw and rustic feel. I also loved the texture when one bit into it, soft and crunchy.

Imagine my happiness when both these ingredients combined. Of course, a milk burfi by any other name etc. Here is the recipe.
Ingredients
Milk – ½ litre
Figs – 4 numbers
Sugar – 1 and ¼ cup
Ghee – 5 tablespoon
Rava – ¼ teaspoon
Besan – ¼ teaspoon

Method
Heat 1 tablespoon Ghee and roast the besan and rava. Chop the figs into small pieces. Boil milk, sugar with roasted rava and besan. Add chopped figs. Stir continuously and add the rest of the ghee till the mixtures begins to leave the side of the vessel. Switch off the gas and stir till it becomes thick. Spread on a greased plate. Cool and cut into pieces.

I like them as generous large pieces, saves the effort of having to eat multiple numbers of them!